FAQMain »» VirtueOnline
|Information about Disqus Comment Tool|
|VOL made changes to the way readers can post comments to the end of news articles on the website. This change means that readers can use their existing Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ accounts to post and need not register for an additional account on virtueonline.org. This new comment system is better integrated into the social media networks, has better spam prevention and is used by most of the major news sites and blogs on the Internet.
To post to a news article, follow these three easy steps. (1) type your comments into the text box; (2) click the button to select a login (Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Disqus). If you are already logged into one of these sites, you will not be required to enter your password. (3) Click the the post button.
If you see a comment that you'd like to reply to, simply begin by clicking the grey "Reply" link below that particular post or comment. Clicking "Reply" will open a text box where you can enter your comment.
A common question that readers ask is: "It appears that you've limited the way readers comment on the VOL site to social media venues. Since I don't belong to any of these, I guess there is no way to comment, is that correct?
This is incorrect. If you do not wish to use Facebook, Twitter, or Gmail, choose the "D" button and create a Disqus.com account. Disqus accounts are only for comments on VOL and other sites that use Disqus in a similar fashion.
We hope that everyone will enjoy using this new commenting system. To see other websites around the globe that are using Disqus, please visit this link: http://disqus.com/showcase
|How can I support your ministy?|
|Please keep this writer in your prayers, and support this ministry. VirtueOnline exists solely to keep its readers informed about the latest events inside the Episcopal Church and worldwide around the Anglican Communion. We need your continued support. Thank you.
Please support this ministry by sending your tax deductable contributions via PayPal to email@example.com or via postal mail to:
1236 Waterford Rd.
West Chester, PA 19380.
|Why am I having problems logging in and posting when my firewall is on?|
|Firewalls prevent unauthorised data being transferred from and to your computer. This effects data between applications connecting websites. Usually firewall users can "allow" permitted applications to transfer data and set various levels of security.
For example, VirtueOnline.org uses the HTTP_REFERRER information to check if you're logged into the website. Some firewalls (most notably software firewalls such as Norton, Symantec and ZoneAlarm) block this information being sent to the server. This could prevent you from logging into the VOL site.
Typically this becomes evident when you log into the website, the login is confirmed, and you still see the 'login' box on the page, and you're not logged in at all.
Another scenario is that you login, try to post to the news comments or discussion forum and get a message saying that you're not authorized to post - "I registered for an account and logged in - what else do I have to do to be 'authorized'" you might be asking yourself.
The solution is to add the VirtueOnline.org into to the Trusted Sites list of your firewall application. Another solution would be to temporarily disable your firewall application while you are visiting VOL. If you are on a corporate network, or behind your home Cable/DSL router, you're already taking advantage of many network securtity features that will keep your browsing experience safe and secure.
|Why do I not receive the VOL Digest via email?|
|We are sorry that you are having trouble receiving the digest.
Unfortunately, this is not always an easy problem to solve. There are
several reasons for this, but the bottom line is that public Internet
email delivery is an inexact science due to the number and variety of
networks, servers, and companies involved in the sending and receiving
VOL can suggest three courses of action.
1) Check with your ISP to ensure that they are not blocking email from
the listserv.virtueonline.org domain. We've worked hard to ensure that
our broadcast messages are properly formatted and compliant, but
sometimes ISP's get overzelous with their spam controls.
2) Signup for a free email account at Google, Yahoo or AOL. VOL monitors delivery to the big 3 each week and our members seldom have delivery problems to email accounts here.
3) Check the website weekly. The VOL Digest usually goes out on Friday
afternoon/evening. From www.virtueonline.org, click on Weekly Digests
in the Main Menu (left column). This link will take you to a Google
Group page where all the digests are archived.
|The eMail Digest is to wide to read|
|The NetZero and Juno webmail clients (and some other mail readers) do not wrap the text to fit within the standard window. At the moment, there is no fix for this problem. In the future, the software that VOL uses to send out the weekly digest will truncate each line to 72 columns, but that fix is some a future enhancement.
In the meantime, we have three suggestions.
(1) Register for a free eMail account at Yahoo!, AOL, or Google. Each of these email services have been tested with VOL and their webmail clients will display the text in a readable page format
(2) Visit the VOL website each week and print / read the digest from the website. Each week, following the distribution of the digest via email, we post the entire text of each issue on the website in printable format. The link to the digests is: http://www.virtueonline.org/portal/modules/tinycontent.
(3) At the top of each digest is a Table of Contents with links to each story on the VOL website. Use this TOC to read each article seperately.
We apologize for any inconvenience this format may present to our readers.
|How to I post comments to the News Articles|
|In order to contribute comments to the News articles, you must be logged into the VOL website with a registered username. Follow the instructions on the Register page to register for a free VOL member account.
Once you have registered, login to the site. You will find buttons and links at the bottom of the News articles where you can submit comments.
|How can I avoid losing my post due to a login timeout?|
|Warning about Time Outs;
What to do about Time Outs?
Time outs and losing your post
So far we have THREE WAYS to prevent the frustration in losing a post to log outs;
1. If you're composing a lenghty post, do yourself a favor and use a word processor or text editor so that you do not lose your work and can re-paste your post into the site should you have to login again.
2. Ctrl/A, Ctrl/C, Ctrl/V
Simple solution, it to before you click "post comment" is just to hit
1. ctl/A keys
(control button down, and press the A key)
(this highlights all in your posting ref)
2. ctl/C keys
(control button down, and press the C key)
(this copies "all" to your clipboard)
Then, go ahead and POST your comment.
3. If the timeout has happened, and the infernal machine had dumped yout post, then just log in to VOL again, & reenter the area where you were posting
It will come up with a blank field where the post you were typing was lost from. click in that field where you normally type, and then press]
(control key down, press V)
(this is a paste command, and it pastes
(your prewritted text from clipboard)
(back into the message area like it was...
Then you can select POST COMMENT and it will work.
this saves a lot of frustration, and only requires learning 3 easy keystrokes
3. Another way to make sure you do not lose your post is to use the "Right Click Button" on your mouse;
Before clicking the "Submit" button, Place the cursor at the beginning of your post, click and hold the click and drag the cursor to the end of your post, this will highlight your post. Now right click and pick "Copy" that puts your post on the clipboard.
Should you find that when you click the Submit button that you were timed out, at least you have a copy on the clip board.
Then just log in to VOL again, & reenter the area where you were postin, It will come up with a blank field where the post you were typing was lost from. click in that field where you normally type,
Right click in the empty post window and pick "Paste". That will put the post on the clipboard back in your comment window. Just click the "Submit" button and you have your post on that forum.
Hope you use one of the three ways presented to prevent losing your posts because of time outs.
|TERMS OF SERVICE: Forum & Comments|
|We've always welcomed, and often learned from, comments by people who disagree with us. We do not welcome motives-bashing and shaming techniques. We have allowed some aggressive comments to stand in the past, but as we grow in readership we feel a greater need to protect a spirit of civility in this space.
As of February 19, 2007, this is what we expect from our readers who leave comments here:
1. Engage the issues and the subject matter the article or post. NO flames. Courteous discourse only.
2. Provide a valid email address or a working URL in the profile of your user account. If you're unwilling to do this, we do not owe you a forum.
3. Provide your real name. If all you have to offer is a nom de plume, we're not interested.
4. Do not engage in ad hominem arguments. We will delete such comments punctually, and will not respond to complaints (whether public or private) about the deletions.
6. No foul language. No foul pictures. No advertising. Do Not insult Anglicans who are different than you. Theological debates are fine but throwing insults is prohibited.
7. VOL takes a very dim view of people who post in order to bait the readers. Inflammatory posts will be taken down.
8. VOL has many thousands of readers every day. Words do matter and VOL reserves the right to delete posts which do not meet the terms of service.
9. VOL is not legally responsible for poster's content. VOL Members must keep posts to a reasonable length. Posts should be no more than a few paragraphs in length. Longer articles should be referred to via hyperlinks.
10. People who have a complaint concerning a post or a poster should feel free to contact by PM to ptay1, rturner, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
11. Members of the VOL Community are required to abide by these Terms. Posts that are in violation or are considered to be inflammatory in any way may be deleted without notice or justification.
12. Failure to comply with the TOS may result in account suspension or deletion.
A summary of our Terms of Service are summarized below:
Comment posters are responsible for the opinions they express and the accuracy of the information they provide. We urge comment writers to treat this as a public forum where manners matter. We encourage a collegial, non-insulting tone and we reserve the right to withhold or remove any comment from publication.
Do not post:
* Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
* Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
* Personal attacks, insults or threats.
* The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
* Comments unrelated to the story.
VOL is a non-profit ministry dedicated to serving the Anglican Communion. VOL depends on its readers for financial support. Please consider a tax deductible donation. You can do so via check or credit card. Details can be found at http://www.virtueonline.org/support.html
Much of the text of VOL's Terms of Service were borrowed from GetReligion.org Thanks to Doug LeBlanc for this short and effective piece.
Here is the link to their site where this text is posted.
|How do I print an article?|
|The pages that display news articles will most likely drop off the last few columns on the right if you try and print the page.
In order to print a news article, click the printer button at the bottom of each article. The icon looks like this ...
|Where are the Digests?|
|Select Digests from the Main Menu on the left side of the page. The most recent digests are available by clicking on the date. Also, each individual story is available from the News section or via hyperlinks on the front page.|
|How do I find new stories?|
|David and his team will be publishing original and syndicated content to the site on a daily basis. New stories will appear on the front page under the "Top News" section. You can also select the "News" menu and browse the active stories.
Since the front page has been updated to include more News blocks, there may be stories that are new to the site, but are not on the front page. To find these stories, browse the first 2 or 3 pages of the News section.
|I can't register for an account!|
|If you're having trouble registering for an account, you likely have some security software on your computer that is blocking the registration transaction.
Disable the software (like Norton Internet Security) and try again.
You may also send an email to email@example.com. Include your name, email address, city and state. We'll create the account for you.
Posted: 2007/9/26 16:03 Updated: 2007/9/26 16:04
Not too shy to talk
Using the software for posting
I am new at working with the software for posting comments. Do you have an area that I can go to to find out how to use the items directly above this comment block.